Crispy Chickpea Pita
*adapted from Real Simple Magazine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 15.5 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- plus 1/2 cup whole parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 pitas or pieces flat bread, warmed
- 1 8-ounce container hummus, any flavor
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and toss.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole parsley leaves, tomatoes, and the remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the bread among 4 plates and spread with the hummus. Top with the chickpea mixture, onion, and hot sauce. Serve with the parsley salad, and top with yogurt.
*from Gourmet Magazine