TILT and Tomatillo Salsa




Happy Thursday! This week is going by pretty quickly but I guess part of that is because I didn't have to work on Monday. So on that note, it's Thursday again which means it's time for TILT!


TILT (Things I'm Loving Thursday!) for September 8th, 2011:


1.  Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes Mascara


My husband and I went on a shopping trip to Macy's this weekend. He needed suits and I needed eye make-up remover and mascara. I tried a couple of natural mascaras recently but wasn't impressed with them. I seem to always go back to Lancome. Plus, if you buy when they have a gift with purchase you get the great sample sizes of products. The sample sizes work perfectly for travel!

This particular mascara is a new product of theirs and I really like this formula. I have really short lashes and with this mascara my lashes are nicely volumized and extended. 


2.  Amalactin Moisturizing Body Lotion



I went to the dermatologist awhile back and when he saw my poor dancer beat up feet he recommended this lotion. I found a huge bottle of it at Costco and I wish I would have discovered this years ago. The lotion provides relief for rough and dry skin. I use it on my feet by slathering it on at night before I go to bed. With summer ending and winter heading its way in to our future.... this will be a new staple in my life. 



3.  Biscoff Spread aka Speculos 

   When I was in France recently, I had a huge craving for peanut butter. It's not too easy to find there and I had heard about this popular spread called Speculos. When I found it at the Monoprix grocery I was super excited. I spread it on a slice of whole wheat bread and it was soooooooo goooooood!!! I carried it around most of the 7 weeks I was there. I really wanted to take it back with me so my husband could taste try a bit.  However, the glass jar was heavy and I had a bag that was already very full. I thought I would have to wait until the next tour to France to have some. 

But......good news! The spread has made it to the USA! It's called Biscoff Spread  here because that's really what it is: Biscoff cookies (aka those cookies Delta Airlines hands out!) ground up into spreadable deliciousness!  It tastes like a yummy mixture of cinnamon and caramel. I found mine at two local grocery stores! I'm planning some recipes to post so go get yourself a jar and come back to check out the recipes!





 I read this article on the Epi-log the other day and thought it was a fantastic idea. Read more about the concept here. Basically the idea is a miniature grocery market set up in a reclaimed shipping container. The pop-up like stores would be placed in parking lots of existing businesses. More options to have access to healthy and affordable food without having to drive as far or drive at all, is a great concept. I hope it takes on and I'll see one near me soon!





That's all for this week but here is a quick an easy Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe! I had a bunch of tomatillos from a produce share to use up. I've never made this before but my husband basically said we never need to buy salsa again! I chose to boil my tomatillos because every time I broil things in my oven my smoke alarm goes off....and I wanted the faster version. 





Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe

To cook the tomatillos, you can either roast them in the oven, or boil them. Roasting will deliver more flavor; boiling may be faster and use less energy. Either way works, though boiling is a more common way to cook the tomatillos.
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 lb tomatillos
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 Jalapeño peppers OR 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Salt to taste
METHOD
1Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
2a Roasting methodCut in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.
2b Boiling methodPlace tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos with a slotted spoon.
2Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, chili peppers, sugar in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
Makes 3 cups









Have a great Friday! Ciao!








(all views on each product are my own opinions. Click on links in blue for photo sources and more information)

Comments

Popular Posts