Vegetarian Moroccan Tagine

Happy Sunday! I hope everyone had a good week. I just can't believe how fast the days go by. Being a dancer, my year pans out in seasons. The season starts in June and ends in May. This season seems to be going by extremely fast. Next week we open with our children's show with free matinee performances for kids during the day and then evening performances on Friday and Saturday. The rest of February consists of a lot of teaching and choreographing in local schools. The passport comes out in March where we get to go on our last season tour to France! We end our season with a concert in April......and another season will then come to an end! I just remember being younger and a year seemed like such a long time.


Since time goes by so fast why not eat well! My in-laws got me a subscription to Vegetarian Times for Christmas. Even if you are not vegetarian there are some wonderful delicious recipes in each issue. I've been making quite a few things from the last two issues lately. The first one is this tagine, that fuses aromatic spices to make a sweet and savory dish. I'm going to a couscous party this week and I think I'll make this one again. I just wish I had a nice tagine dish like this to serve it in!


Chickpea and Date Tagine

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion diced (2 cups)
4 cloves garlic (4 tsp.)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup whole-wheat/regular couscous
1 cup pitted dates, halved
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Plain Greek Yogurt, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 10 minutes, or until starting to brown, stirring often. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon, and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and 1/4 cup water; simmer 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, toast couscous in small saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Add 1 3/4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.

3. Stir dates and lemon juice into tagine, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve over couscous, sprinkled with cilantro and dolloped with greek yogurt. 

Serves 8






For dessert how about this.....



For Christmas, this little guy showed up in my stocking! I don't eat pork but I will eat something shaped like a pig! I collect pig things and this edible collectible was so cute. He was made of marzipan (almond paste & sugar) and hailed from Germany. When I'm on tour in Europe I always snack on marzipan that's either plain or mixed with chocolate. You have to really like the taste/flavoring of almonds but luckily for me, I do!


Coming up this week I have my January Foodie Pen Pals reveal, Attune Foods review, and a CORE Foods review!!




CIAO,

BETSY

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading A Dancer In The Ktichen! Let me know what you are thinking or love to eat!

Popular Posts