Early Cinco de Mayo: Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fish Tacos with Mango-Coconut Salsa


Hello! It's not really Cinco de Mayo yet.....it's only May 3rd but I cannot believe it's already May! Where oh where does the time go.... 

Last weekend the closing show of Ririe Woodbury's 2011-2012 season and my last show with the company was magical. I danced my heart out in each piece and it was a great way to end six wonderful seasons of performing my dream job. I'll post some pictures/reviews/articles in another post. 

For now, I want to share with you another fish taco recipe I came up with last night that would be a perfect celebration dish for Cinco de Mayo. I bought my fish at Costco and I actually used frozen salmon portions. I splurged and bought what I think is THE BEST SALMON IN THE WORLD: Wild  Sockeye Salmon from the Copper River in Alaska. In my opinion NOTHING beats the flavor of this salmon. If you don't usually like salmon you need to try this particular type because it's exactly what fresh fish should taste like. Buying it frozen like this means you can enjoy it throughout the year! The brand I found at Costco was Copper River Seafoods  and while I haven't bought this brand before I might be going back soon to buy another bag. It's certified sustainable and also carries the official Made in Alaska label which just makes me so proud of my Alaskan heritage!

I used my handy George Foreman grill and the fish turned out amazing. The skin easily came right off and the salmon flavor mixed with the salsa made me feel like I was somewhere tropical. Oh, and I stopped by my local bread thrift store on way home and found Mission brand Artisan Corn & Whole Wheat Blend Tortillas for $.79! They worked perfectly for this recipe!



Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fish Tacos 
with Mango-Coconut Salsa

Ingredients:

Salsa:
1 cup  mangoes, diced
1/4 cup pineapple, diced
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1/2 cup avocado, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1-2 Tbsp. Tamed Jalapenos, diced (I used Mezzetta brand)

Salmon Rub:
2-8 oz. portions of Wild Alaskan Copper River Sockeye Salmon portions
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 Tbsp. cumin

1 cup green cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup cilantro 
1/2 cup avocado, diced
6 tortillas

Directions:

1. Prepare salsa ingredients and set aside. Prepare grill or George Foreman to medium high heat to 375 F. Meanwhile mix salmon rub together and spread onto the salmon portions. Place on grill skin side down and grill until fish flakes easily, about 8 minutes. While fish is grilling, shred cabbage, and dice avocado. Mix together sour cream and cilantro and warm tortillas. 

2. When salmon is grilled cut into bite sized pieces. Prepare tacos by layering cabbage, followed by salmon. Top with Mango-coconut salsa and cilantro-sour cream mixture. 

Serves 6 (1 taco each)
All the fixings for a great Alaskan Fish Taco!

The best grilled salmon from the Copper River in Alaska!

Mango-Coconut Salsa 

Avocado cream and cabbage

$.79 tortillas that are actually really good!

The finished taco!



*Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute sent me 2 $25 gift cards to help with the cost of the ingredients for this post. However, all opinions are my own.

Au Revoir,

BETSY

Comments

  1. These look so delicious! Wild Alaskan salmon is the absolute best. You did " dance your heart out" in your final RW performances and the audience loved you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading A Dancer In The Ktichen! Let me know what you are thinking or love to eat!

Popular Posts