Quick Summery Veggie Tart

I've had too many people ask lately if I'm still doing my blog. This dancer in the kitchen has still been making dishes like this:


Those questions really made me want to get back in to the blog on a more regular basis so here we go. I guess I've just been too tired by the time I get home, to get on the computer to write a post. I think I'm finally getting the hang of figuring out my schedule with my new three jobs. It's SOOOOOO hard for a foodie like me to be working at Sur La Table. I want to buy so many things there and occasionally I do.... however, I need to start getting better at saving money for things (like future children, yoga teacher trainings, and Ireland!). Even though I am currently making less money than I did in the dance company (and I didn't make much there) I am enjoying so much having a different day to day schedule. After having the same 9-5 schedule for the last six years, it's just nice to be able to come home for lunch or fit in an exercise or yoga class in the morning before coming home to get ready for one of my shifts. 


I did go and take a dance class at the company on Tuesday and it felt great. I can takes classes at Ririe Woodbury for free, it's one of my perks of retirement, lol! I was also asked by the company to come in two weeks ago and teach Intermediate Repertory for the their summer dance workshop. I ended up teaching the choreography from a piece called 80's Night. It was lots of fun however, I don't think any of those students were even born yet in the 80's, which made me feel really old!

The great group of intermediate dance students I taught. 

I was glad my picture finally made it onto the summer workshop brochure!


Since I'm making less money right now, I'm really trying to be better at not letting food go to waste. I've been using things up that are in my pantry and pairing those with everything I have in my fridge. Luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand to make this next dish. I found this recipe in a Good Housekeeping magazine while at my Grandmother's house. It's quick, simple and would make a great dish for brunch or like we had it for dinner with a nice big green salad!





Quick Summery Veggie Tart



  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed with press
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh shelled green peas
  • 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
  •  Salt
  •  Pepper
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, plus additional for garnish
  • 1 small (4 ounce) zucchini, trimmed
  • 1 small (4 ounce) yellow squash, trimmed
  • 1  (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, ready-to-unroll



  • Directions

    • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    • In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add onion, red pepper, peas, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook 4 minutes or until softened and browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Mixture can be refrigerated, covered, up to overnight.
    • While mixture cools, combine cream cheese, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper; stir until well mixed. With vegetable peeler, peel zucchini and squash lengthwise into thin ribbons. (I used a Julienne peeler to make thin shreds)
    • Lay pie crust flat on jelly-roll pan. Spread cream cheese mixture in even layer, leaving 1-inch border. Spread onion-pepper-pea mixture over cream cheese; decoratively arrange zucchini and squash ribbons on top. Fold border of dough over vegetable mixture. Brush remaining teaspoon oil over zucchini and squash.
    • Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until browned. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.

    (slightly adapted from Good Housekeeping)
     


      It feels good to be back so please keep reading! Also, check back soon because I have a great giveaway coming up.......


    Ciao,
    Betsy







    Comments

    Popular Posts