Quinoa Muffins and off to NYC!!




I'm off to NYC this morning for an exciting adventure. I'm performing with a group of professors and students from Utah Valley University at a dance festival in Brooklyn. I know it's been forever and I miss blogging so I'm going to make a goal for myself to post more rescipes! Starting with these delicious muffins using the wonderful grain quinoa! I'm packing some with me for my long travel day! The recipe called for gluten free baking mix but I used King Arthur unbleached white whole wheat flour.











Morning Muffins with Quinoa and FlaxSlightly adapted from Vegetarian Times
Makes 14 muffins


11/2 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup uncooked)
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 Tbs. flaxseed meal
1 cup raisins
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking mix or All Purpose Flour (or white whole wheat, etc.)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1⁄3 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnut pieces (optional) (I used pecans)

1 | Combine quinoa, buttermilk, and flaxseed meal in medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes.

2 | Place raisins in heat-proof bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 to 30 minutes to plump. Drain, and set aside.

3 | Preheat oven to 350F. Line 14 muffin cups with paper liners.

4 | Sift together baking mix, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl.

5 | Beat eggs with whisk in bowl. Whisk in oil, then honey and sugar. Stir in quinoa mixture. Fold in baking mix mixture until just combined. Stir in raisins and walnuts (if using). Fill muffin cups three-quarters full with batter, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned on top and toothpick inserted in center of 1 muffin comes out clean. Cool before serving. (Muffins have a slight baking soda taste when warm.)

PER MUFFIN 268 cal; 5 g prot; 7 g total fat (<1 g sat fat); 49 g carb; 27 mg chol; 483 mg sod; 2 g fiber; 25 g sugars 

Ciao,
Betsy

Comments

  1. These are delicious! I had one with some bean and kale soup fro Whole Foods and one for breakfast. Safe travels to NYC. Have fun dancing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading A Dancer In The Ktichen! Let me know what you are thinking or love to eat!

Popular Posts